Red Burn Code in Reno Area Use of fireplaces, wood stoves and pellet stoves prohibited until further notice

Reno, Nevada. Dec. 9, 2013. The Washoe County Health District has changed the Burn Code from Yellow to Red, prohibiting the use of fireplaces, wood stoves, and pellet stoves until further notice.

WHO/WHAT: Health District changes Burn Code from Yellow to Red

WHEN: Monday, Dec. 9, 2013 until further notice

WHERE: Reno, Sparks, and Southern Washoe County from Washoe Valley to Silver Knolls.


Strong temperature inversions and stagnant weather conditions have caused air pollution levels to rapidly increase. Therefore, the Washoe County Health District, Air Quality Management Division is issuing a Red Burn Code and has rescinded the Yellow Burn Code. Use of fireplaces, wood stoves and pellet stoves is prohibited until further notice.

The Air Quality Index (AQI) may be Unhealthy for Sensitive Groups at times meaning people with heart or lung disease, older adults, and children should avoid prolonged or heavy exertion. Everyone else should reduce prolonged or heavy exertion.

Check for more information and for hourly AQI updates for the Reno/Sparks area. Residents and media can also follow or like us on Twitter and Facebook.