Volunteer applications for membership to the new Washoe County Food Policy Council open today in efforts to improve networking, collaboration, and promotion of access to healthy foods in Washoe County. Established by the Washoe County District Board of Health in October 2011, the Washoe County Food Policy Council will be charged with implementing the goals of the Washoe County Food Plan, Access to Health Food in Washoe County: A Framework for Food System Design. A copy of the Washoe County Food Plan, and Food Policy Council applications can be found online at www.washoecounty.us/health. Applications will be accepted through February 8, 2012.
Council members must have expertise in one or more food system related issues. Council members must also have the ability to work together to create policy and sustainable change while taking into consideration the impact on the entire local food system. There are a total of ten (10) Council positions representing diverse sectors of the local food system and the community at large:
* Community Food Planning
* Food and Nutrition Data Systems Surveillance and Monitoring
* Food Distribution
* Food Preparation
* Food Production
* Member at Large (3 positions)
* Public Food Programs
There will be additional ongoing opportunities for interested community members and agencies to participate on workgroups and provide guidance to the Food Policy Council.
The criteria used for selecting inaugural members include:
* Commitment to term of up to two-years requiring regular attendance and participation in meetings;
* Active membership on at least one potential subcommittee of the Council that will generate a work plan with specific goals;
* Ability to generate policy and action items for the Council to pursue;
* Capacity to build collaborative relationships and bring resources to the effort; and
* Passion for improving the food system in Washoe County.
Applicants will be notified in early March 2012 and the first meeting of the Food Policy Council is expected to be held in May 2012.
Apply online at http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/FoodCouncil.
For more information about the Food Policy Council please contact Erin Dixon at (775) 328-2442 or email@example.com .