Board Seeks Candidates for Hazardous Vegetation Management Panel

The Placer County Board of Supervisors is seeking candidates to serve on both an eastern or western Placer County hearing body established by a new county ordinance that seeks to ensure that dried vegetation on unimproved lots doesn’t become a fire hazard.

Placer County’s Hazardous Vegetation Abatement ordinance was expanded to select areas in the western part of the county late last year to help reduce the spread of wild fire in areas where open lands are near to homes and other structures.

The Hazardous Vegetation Abatement ordinance was approved to help manage situations where extra-hazardous fire conditions on unimproved property (no structures) put the owners of adjacent improved properties (structure present) at significant risk.

The ordinance encourages property owners to meet the requirements of State and County vegetation clearance codes by offering public education, scheduling inspections and seeking cooperation. However, if the problem remains unresolved, compulsory abatement and cost recovery can be required.

Common standards for inspections and abatement are established by the County Fire Warden. When appointed, the Hearing Body will have the authority to hear a property owner’s case and make a final determination whether to impose a compulsory abatement and cost recovery order.

All hearing body members serve at the pleasure of the Board of Supervisors. CAL FIRE Ranger Unit Chief Brad Harris, who also leads Placer County Fire, will represent the participating fire agencies. Supervisors will appoint two citizens at large and two alternates.

Local fire agencies in western Placer County which participate in the HVA process include the Foresthill, Penryn and Loomis Fire Protection Districts, and Placer County Fire.

Participating agencies in the North Lake Tahoe area include North Tahoe Fire Protection District, Alpine Springs County Water District, Squaw Valley Public Service District and the Northstar Community Services District.

Residents interested in serving on either the eastern or western Placer County HVA hearing board may obtain an application from the Clerk of the Board of Supervisors office at 175 Fulweiler Avenue in Auburn, or online at The phone number is 530-889-4020.