The Board of Fire Commissioners for Sierra Fire Protection District reached a labor agreement with the Sierra Fire Protection District Firefighters Association.
The Sierra Firefighters Association (IAFF Local 3895) has 37 members, which include Captains, Equipment Operators, Firefighters/Paramedics, Firefighters, Prevention Captain and a mechanic.
The labor agreement contains financial and non –financial provisions and includes new, major cost-saving provisions to the district. The major provisions of the new agreement are for a one-year term, July 1, 2011 to June 30, 2012 and include:
• Staffing Changes: The required engine company staffing will be reduced from four to three-member team minimum, with the flexibility to use a two-person rescue unit.
• Salaries: No change in salary during the term of the agreement.
• Vacation: One time allocation of 24 hours of vacation and leave requests to be submitted 24 hours prior to requested date.
• Holiday Pay: Holiday pay was exchanged for an equal amount of compensatory time off rather then being paid in cash.
• Reserve Program: Collaboration between the District and the Sierra Firefighters Association in the development of a reserve firefighter program, in order to augment existing career firefighter station staffing.
• Vacancies and Promotions: There will be change in the process to include a scored interview panel and review process for candidates who are not selected for promotion.
• Expedited Arbitration: A provision was added for expired arbitration to ensure that successor contract negotiations are resolved on or before June 30, 2012.
The wage and benefit concession included in this agreement total $542,000 in savings for fiscal year 2011-2012.