CRANS-MONTANA, Switzerland (Jan. 30) – U.S. Development Ski Team member Ryan Siegle (Starksboro, VT) led the U.S. charge in 13th Sunday in the opening FIS Junior World Alpine Ski Championship giant slalom in Crans-Montana, Switzerland. France’s Alexis Pinturault won gold.
Siegle, a member of the legendary Cochran skiing family, put down a solid first run and the third fastest second run for a combined time of 2:23.00. Siegle’s time was fast enough to put him inside the top 15 for his Junior World Championship debut.
Pinturault won the race convincingly with a time of 2:19.62, over a half of a second ahead of silver medalist Vincent Kriechmayr of Austria. France’s Mathieu Faivre earned the final medal joining teammate Pinturault on the podium with bronze.
Siegle was joined by a group of four U.S. athletes in the top 30 including Nick Daniels (Tahoe City, CA) in 18th, Keith Moffat (Berkeley, CA) in 19th and Michael Ankeny (Wayzata, MN) and Kieffer Christianson (Anchorage) tied in 25th.
The FIS Junior World Alpine Ski Championships continue Monday with the men’s slalom.
FIS Junior World Alpine Ski Championships
Crans-Montana, Switzerland – Jan. 30, 2011
Gold: Alexis Pinturault, France, 2:19.62
Silver: Vincent Kriechmayr, Austria, 2:20.25
Bronze: Mathieu Faivre, France, 2:20.71
13. Ryan Siegle, Starksboro, VT (U.S. Ski Team/Mt. Mansfield Ski Club), 2:23.00
18. Nick Daniels, Tahoe City, CA (U.S. Ski Team/Squaw Valley Ski Team), 2:23.94
19. Keith Moffat, 2/3/1991, Berkeley, CA (U.S. Ski Team/Squaw Valley Ski Team), 2:23.96
25. Michael Ankeny, Wayzata, MN (U.S. Ski Team/Buck Hill Ski Club), 2:24.60
25. Kieffer Christianson, Anchorage (U.S. Ski Team/ Burke Mountain Academy), 2:24.60
DNF: Brennan Rubie, Salt Lake City (U.S. Ski Team/Snowbird Ski Team)
For complete results: www.fis-ski.com
# # #